Jerry’s interest in Narrow Gauge railroads goes back to when he was an early teenager living in Alamosa. His family lived a block away from the yards and he spent time at the station and was interested in both gauges there. He and his mother rode the Parlor car in the fall of 1950 from Alamosa to Durango.
His narrow gauge layout is 95% HOn3 and 5% HO, depicting railroads in southwestern Colorado and New Mexico, circa early 1950s. It is located in his basement and is in an L shaped room that is 24’ by 36’. The large D&RGW mainline area is steam “prototype” from Durango to Antonito. It includes a peninsula section from Chama to Cumbres. There is also a peninsula section of the RGS that includes Delores and Vance Junction. The operating system is Digitrax controlled with Soundtrax receivers. Approximately 80% of the layout and scenery have been completed. The layout includes curved corners. There are many scratch built buildings, some designed by Jerry with interior lighting and effects. The backdrop was painted by Jerry’s wife, Sue.