The contest committee would like to welcome you to St. Louis and we encourage you to bring a model or photograph to enter in our contest. This is the time to show off your latest creation.
You may enter as many categories as you like, but keep in mind, if you enter more than one model or photograph in the same category you are competing with yourself for votes.
We recommend you download a contest entry form and fill it out prior to leaving for the convention. Doing so will save you time and aggravation at check-in. The form will be available to download from this webpage by April 2020.
Plaques will be awarded for first, second and third place in each category. A single plaque will be awarded for Youth Model and Best of Show.
So, start building and we’ll see you in St. Louis.
2020 NNGC Contest Categories
STEAM MOTIVE POWER – ROD
STEAM MOTIVE POWER – GEAR
MOTIVE POWER – INT. COMB.
MAINTENANCE OF WAY
REVENUE FREIGHT CAR
YOUTH MODEL (UNDER 18)
BEST OF SHOW
General Contest Rules
- Models must be built entirely by the entrant without help from another person. Entries must be narrow gauge related. Only registered convention attendees, vendors, or volunteers may submit entries. No “proxy” entries allowed.
- A model or photograph that has won first place or best of show at a previous national convention may not be entered in the same category.
- Photos must be mounted on a stiff backing material such as card stock or foam core board. Photos may also be matted. Photos (with mounts or mounting) may range in size from a minimum of 5" x 7" to a maximum of 12" x 16". (This will be strictly enforced). No frames or glass cover will be permitted. Digitally and or computer enhanced photos will be permitted.
- Display table(s) will be provided for attendees to display models and photos. These models and photos will not be voted on and no plaques will be awarded. Display space will be limited and will be used on a first come, first served basis. If you have a large display, please contact the contest chair to arrange space.
- Structures may be stand alone or on a limited base. NO SCENERY ITEMS ARE PERMITTED IN THE STRUCTURE CATEGORY.
- Dioramas may be stand alone or mounted on a base. Scenery is not only permitted on dioramas but is encouraged.
- Modules differ from dioramas in that a module is designed to be part of an operating layout. Modules will be displayed in the exhibit area. Due to space concerns no modules will be allowed in the contest room.
- Square footer may be in any scale and any height but no part of the structure or scenery may extend over the edge of the 12" x 12" base. Not even a tree limb. Or even a leaf.
- Youth model is to be constructed and entered by a person under 18 years of age. Only first place will be awarded in this category.
- If you have a structure, diorama or display larger than 2 x 4 feet please contact the model contest chairman before the convention.